Apocryphal Exalted discussion

For general talk about Exalted, its setting, mechanics and playing the game
Lioness

I think the ones I'm most taken with are Hearteaters, I like how their inclusion builds off of the lore of the Fallen Stars Memorial in DotFA concerning slain Incarnae and their maddened Exalts rather than it being a 2e era edit-war over what would happen to the current Exalted if they murder their patrons. 

The Aurorals nicely align with Exalted Essence's new-look Adamant Caste we don't have an exact picture of what they look like because the Hearteaters are very different but the Sovereigns having Aurora as their second patron provides us some interesting insight into what they might have been like before their corruption.  

Tags:
The MG

I glossed over the Dream-Souled at first, eager to get to the edge and the brain-eating, but they're actually pretty cool.

With their lack of bells and whistles (shapeshifting, Arcane Fate, the Shadow) and splatwide social context (the Deathlords, the Silver Pact), and with the distant, unknowable patron, they manage a conceptual freedom second only to the Solar Exalted. Sure, they have their Ideals, and the aesthetic of dreams and transformation, but it's a fairly light touch, similar to the Solar aesthetic.

It's both a shame -- because we're left with an incomplete Charmset -- and a boon -- they're out so much earlier than they ever would've been with a full release -- that they're apocryphal.

As an added bonus, they have a magical girl transformation Charm in Dream-Champion Trance, and that is just... cool. It's cool and rad.
Mizu

I can definitely see why Lunars and Sidereals agree to put aside their differences to gang up on heart eaters whenever they pop up. On the other hand, I can also I think maybe see why they weren't included in baseline canon. They are like a 2E abyssal, it sucks to be one on a personal level and it sucks to hang out with one for longer then five seconds because of their compulsive need to turn people into pawns to not feel like shit so they are kind of better off as an antagonist then something playable at your table.
Lioness

Mizu wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:58 am I can definitely see why Lunars and Sidereals agree to put aside their differences to gang up on heart eaters whenever they pop up. On the other hand, I can also I think maybe see why they weren't included in baseline canon. They are like a 2E abyssal, it sucks to be one on a personal level and it sucks to hang out with one for longer then five seconds because of their compulsive need to turn people into pawns to not feel like shit so they are kind of better off as an antagonist then something playable at your table.
Yeah, you're probably going to need to do some character vetting if someone wants to play a Hearteater. 
Mizu

So, in terms of which one I would want to play, I think I would have to go with a dream souled. Their dream powers just seem fun and thematic in general, bringing dreams to life messing with dreams, etc all just seems neat. Yeah they are going to have lots of problems against people that can see through illusions and ignore shaping but they still have a decent enough amount of stuff not involving either that they are still going to be useful unless your ST is a total buzzkill that just keeps throwing an improbable number of enemies at you that happen to shut both of those down so you are nerfed constantly instead of it just being a sometimes thing.

Hearteaters are well written and thematic, but it is a theme I really don't think is fun to play as or alongside at my table. Makes for an absolutely terrifying antagonist type, though.

Umbrals seem like they could be fun, but I am not sure how much I like it as written since it seems to punish players who RP as not giving into the shadow. Of course, on the other hand, if there isn't a reward for giving in to the 'dark side' it does make characters that give into it for power look kind of stupid. Still, definitely something I'd enjoy playing more then a hearteater.
Lioness

Mostly the same here.
In 2e I played a Lunar who had acquired Fair Folk Graces and the Dream Souled charmset has similar energy to that. The Hearteaters are the most intriguing as a concept though.
BogMod

I am pretty happy with most of them. They seem a fun surprise that could be introduced though they don't seem so strong as PC material. Great themes and ideas though.
I play the video games.  https://www.youtube.com/bogmod
Nervaqus987

So, I've got a question regarding the Hearteaters.

When they die, they can possess one of their nearby pawns. There's mentions about how that may result in the personalities of the two fusing or one devouring the other.

But is it a faster version of what Celestial Exalts go through(ie a true death with the new Exalt starting from scratch) or is it a kind of cheating death and the Hearteater remains as powerful as they were before(ie, staying Essence 4 and keeping the Charms they learned)?
CritianCaceorte

Nervaqus987 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:41 am So, I've got a question regarding the Hearteaters.

When they die, they can possess one of their nearby pawns. There's mentions about how that may result in the personalities of the two fusing or one devouring the other.

But is it a faster version of what Celestial Exalts go through(ie a true death with the new Exalt starting from scratch) or is it a kind of cheating death and the Hearteater remains as powerful as they were before(ie, staying Essence 4 and keeping the Charms they learned)?

I'm presuming that, since it mentions that for the most part its a fusion of personalities, that they start over. But I figure that creating a charm that allows them to retain their prowess (or at least Essence - 1) after taking over a pawn would be well within their auspice.
Wandering_Redoubt

So, I knew ahead of time from the snippets of info that we'd gotten that I would like the Hearteaters.
What surprises me is how much I wound up liking the Umbrals. Currently brewing up an Umbral who has given in completely to their shadow as a villain for an upcoming 1-on-1 game.
Wandering_Redoubt

Has anyone brewed up their own Apocryphal Exalts, now that the concept has sort of been given room to exist?
I guess the fanmade Nocturnals from 2nd edition kind of qualify.

I've been trying to workshop together the themes and history for a group I call the Meteoric Exalted, but they're still in extremely early concept stages.
Kyeudo

Wandering_Redoubt wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:04 am Has anyone brewed up their own Apocryphal Exalts, now that the concept has sort of been given room to exist?

Dragonmystic and I started working on the Memorial Exalted, who had a five-in-one patron who died in the Divine Rebellion, back when Third Edition was still under development. They had an Exaltation that was also an artifact, often handed down from one to the next, and a focus on memory and tradition. We ended up having creative differences on the project, but you can find some of the stuff we put together on the Onyx Path forums.