OGL Drama

For general talk about Exalted, its setting, mechanics and playing the game
Agrenom

Are you guys considering trying to take advantage of the outrage that the OGL1.1 leak has caused? If not, might not be a bad idea to have an emergency meeting too discuss it. Even something like approaching Critical Role would have a non-zero chance of working at the moment varying depending on how you worded it. I'd dearly love to see Exalted see a bit more of the spotlight somehow, even if the chances are probably low of it happening.
Lioness

I don't think anyone working with Exalted directly would be privy to that information, my understanding is that it's Paradox Interactive who ultimately make these kinds of calls regarding Exalted not Onyx Path.
andrix
Site Admin

My impression has always been that Paradox have the WoD and Exalted liscences because they're mostly interested in the potential for the IPs to be leveraged for other media and that the actual publishing side of things is very much a secondary consideration so that the properties at least retain some level of cache.

As Lioness mentioned I don't think there's a huge amount of insight in these circles into what Paradox's thinking is although we'd all obviously love to see Exalted capitalise more on the current boom in the RPG market. The bigger hopes are more likely to be that the tv show that was announced somehow isn't vapourware, or that some small dev approaches Paradox with a pitch for a game rather than them making a big push on the publishing/RPG front.
Sword of Creation Site Admin
Please consider giving input on the feedback forums about things you like or want changed
If you have any issues feel free to message me
Wandering_Redoubt

I don't think the OGL debacle will effect much on the Onyx Path side of things, except Scarred Lands and Pugmire I think?

Industry-wide, looks like a bunch of the companies and groups that used to do D&D compatible content are working to make a new Open RPG Creation license, or ORC, with Paizo at the head.
Maybe this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise, and break the stranglehold Wizards has had on the RPG market share, and give other games a chance to shine.
BogMod

I am curious if the backlash they suffer will actually hurt them enough for them to judge it all a mistake or not.
I play the video games.  https://www.youtube.com/bogmod
Sandact6

I don't think the OGL drama has anything to do with OPP/WW aside from them realizing the backlash that would happen if they tried to pull the same move themselves (which was ultimately small to begin with).
vampire hunter D

BogMod wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:11 am I am curious if the backlash they suffer will actually hurt them enough for them to judge it all a mistake or not.

Nope. Already employees from inside WotC have said the execs think the fandom is just overreacting and everyone will forget about it in two or three months
BogMod

Well seems ultimately a fairly quick retreat on the parts of Wizards.
I play the video games.  https://www.youtube.com/bogmod