Sidereals: Charting Fate's Course - KS on 11th Nov

For general talk about Exalted, its setting, mechanics and playing the game
andrix
Site Admin

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... rd-edition

So indications are that we're getting the Sid's KS as soon as this week, which is both a welcome surprise that we're getting a 2nd crowdfunder this year, and also going to make my wallet sad before christmas.

Do people have any last minute hopes or expectations for it? Thoughts on how things like astrology and sidereal martial arts might look in 3e?

Personally I'm looking forward to getting a real look into how 3e is going to handle Yu Shan and the bureaus. I've been a huge fan of what they've done with the lore this edition and think books like The Realm have been the highlight of the content we've had, while having their own slightly different tone to 2e...but there's not been a huge amount of what this editions divine side of things looks like with no compasses of Celestial Directions, and stuff like Glories now on the scrap heap, so I'm super eager to see how the vision they've glimpsed in places like Exigents scales up to Heaven itself.

Oh, and what colour are we predicting the deluxe cover is going to be? Superfluous, yes, but very important to how it looks on my bookshelf
Sword of Creation Site Admin
Please consider giving input on the feedback forums about things you like or want changed
If you have any issues feel free to message me

Tags:
CritianCaceorte

andrix wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:45 pm https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... rd-edition
Do people have any last minute hopes or expectations for it? Thoughts on how things like astrology and sidereal martial arts might look in 3e?

Oh, and what colour are we predicting the deluxe cover is going to be? Superfluous, yes, but very important to how it looks on my bookshelf

For your first question, I imagine we probably won't be having Essence 6+ charms, considering how Essence used them. Beyond that, not sure.

For the second, it'll be Purple, since that's the color often associated with Sidereals starting with their 1e book.
Blackwell

It'll be purple, because that's the color every Sidereal book has been since the game was called "Mage" ;)

I've spent a bunch of time musing about what Astrology might look like, because I think it could definitely use some sprucing up. The beginnings of a reworked version I've been toying with:

1) Astrology ranks are literally ranks, in that they represent increasing degrees (initiate/fellow/sage) of initiation into the (fraternal orders/mystery cults/planning committees) represented by the Houses and Colleges.

2) These degrees grant access to increasing powers. Common ones are the ability to craft and wear appropriate Respendent Destinies (the metaphysical ceremonial vestments of the colleges) and make Signs (secret knocks and handshakes, but for the Loom). They might also be priveledges like "access to the Arrows of Reason" - manifesting as Evocations you can learn for mundane arrows.

3) Sideral Charm trees can interweave with Degrees to a limited extent. Most notably the capstone Prayer Strip Charms require the third degree in the relevant College. It also takes the place of previous edition's Maiden keyword.

4) The college powers give the Charmset room to grow. Sidereals currently max out at the 3rd (Sage) degree, but the greatest Gods of the Bureau probably more like 5 ("Greater Astrology"). It also means that maybe the real native Charmset could be open, because Astrology isn't? Haven't fully thought this part through yet.
Last edited by Blackwell on Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrix
Site Admin

From their latest email updates:

The Sidereal Exalted are many things: Starry-eyed seers gifted with insight into the nature of fate. Elite agents of Heaven, troubleshooting threats to destiny in Creation and beyond. Legendary martial artists, whose secret techniques strike the soul and shatter reality. Celestial powerbrokers and intriguers who treat with gods as equals. Puppetmasters who steer the course of nations with a word in a queen’s ear.

And yet it is their their curse to be forgotten by the world.

Burdened by their arcane fate, the Sidereal Exalted are heroes unremembered, serving Creation and bending the arc of history from behind the scenes. Now, with Creation fallen into a Time of Tumult, all that the Sidereals have worked for stands on the brink of annihilation once more. Their choices and deeds will shape the future, whether it be one of glory or tragedy.

We also have a couple of images, the 2nd of which especially seems to be setting a really nice tone.

Also a glimpse at the cover which...I actually can't tell if it's purple or just a dark blue, but either way it looks exceptionally nice, possibly my favourite of the hardbacks so far

Sword of Creation Site Admin
Please consider giving input on the feedback forums about things you like or want changed
If you have any issues feel free to message me
SamuraiMujuru

CritianCaceorte wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:10 am
andrix wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:45 pm https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... rd-edition

For your first question, I imagine we probably won't be having Essence 6+ charms, considering how Essence used them. Beyond that, not sure.

For the second, it'll be Purple, since that's the color often associated with Sidereals starting with their 1e book.

My money is Sidereal MA will have a special tag for the truly crazy effects, and could easily see charms tying into the Astrology in weird ways kinda like how the Immaculate Dragon styles play with Aura.

As for Essence 6+ charms, FatG had Elder charms popping up on the sheets of the crazy old/powerful Lunars, so I'd expected to see something similar here for characters like Chejop Kejak.
Kashi

Still think the splat should be called The Sidereals: Operation Cannot Possibly Fail Operation Cannot Possibly Fail a Second Time.
Blaque

andrix wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:45 pm...
From the fancord, astrology is likely to be pretty simple. I'm especting something a lot more like Essence did making destiines. Apparently long term destiny stuff looks more like sorcerous workings also. A lot of the specific prophetic things, or the Resplendency powers are going to likely be Charms part of the native set.

Martial Arts we know a bit too. We already had heard something on hwo there is something akin to Mastery (turns out Enlightenment based on hints in the book previews). So who could learn SMA is the same (Solars and their derivitives, Sidereals, plus now Getimians and some Exigents). But as of on the fancord, only Siderelas can make them, and only they and Getimians get to use Mastery.

andrix wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:45 pmPersonally I'm looking forward to getting a real look into how 3e is going to handle Yu Shan and the bureaus. I've been a huge fan of what they've done with the lore this edition and think books like The Realm have been the highlight of the content we've had, while having their own slightly different tone to 2e...but there's not been a huge amount of what this editions divine side of things looks like with no compasses of Celestial Directions, and stuff like Glories now on the scrap heap, so I'm super eager to see how the vision they've glimpsed in places like Exigents scales up to Heaven itself.
So far the chapter in the previews has been pretty cool. It's th eonly bit I haven't finsihed but the Celestila Bureuacracy is super interesting. I love how the Bureau of Seasons grew out of a labor movement and Heaven's like, modus operandi since the FIrst Age is trying to just absorb more into itself, like how it use to be two Bureuas and raided a lot of Humanity.
Kashi

andrix wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:45 pm

I despise the mechanics of Third Edition pretty intensely, so, I can only say I am only looking forward to the book so I can use it to glean what they intend to do with the Sidereals (as in flavor and general charms ideas) then use it as a point of reference to rewrite the charms for my own system I have made and finally complete all of the base Celestial Exalts.
Wandering_Redoubt

Kashi wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:26 am I despise the mechanics of Third Edition pretty intensely, so, I can only say I am only looking forward to the book so I can use it to glean what they intend to do with the Sidereals (as in flavor and general charms ideas) then use it as a point of reference to rewrite the charms for my own system I have made and finally complete all of the base Celestial Exalts.

What's your system like? I've been using Exalted: Blood and Fire for Cortex Prime.

And to stay on topic, I'm hoping there's some guidance for playing "rogue" Sidereals who didn't much care for the idea that they were fated for a job they didn't choose.
Kashi

Wandering_Redoubt wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:09 am
What's your system like? I've been using Exalted: Blood and Fire for Cortex Prime.

It tries to convert Exalted to the simpler Chronicles of Darkness system while still feeling like Exalted; main changes are no threshold difficulty, no 'passive' skills and combat is much simpler. I won't derail this thread too much, but PM me if you want to know more.
DocSteve2020

Its really wierd that from my quick glance at the manuscript and previews, Astrology seems absent. Its not to be mentioned in the glossary, and prophecy seeming is now using the Sorcerous Workings portion of the Ex3e ruleset.

Is there no Astrology in 3e, or is what Astrology used to do now broken into various sub-systems and Charms?
Blaque

DocSteve2020 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:39 pm Its really wierd that from my quick glance at the manuscript and previews, Astrology seems absent. Its not to be mentioned in the glossary, and prophecy seeming is now using the Sorcerous Workings portion of the Ex3e ruleset.

Is there no Astrology in 3e, or is what Astrology used to do now broken into various sub-systems and Charms?

The latter. It's now spread across the Auspicious Prospects mechanic of each Caste, the prophesy-as-workings system, resplendant destinies, and Charms.
The Hug Ninja

This art amused me.
Lioness

The Greater Signs are much more usable and look incredibly powerful especially if Battles and Endings are used in tandem, I'm curious what could stand up to this.