Sylvix' Essence Homebrew collection

The main hub for homebrew, mechanics, splats and rewrites

Moderator: Epiphany

SylvanVixen

I've been working on a ton of homebrew for Exalted Essence for the past while and realised I haven't posted them here.

This is the link to my Google Drive where I host my public homebrew collection:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... BTxxbQ1CHw

Currently included is
  • A collection of over a dozen Artifacts and a few Hearthstones of various ratings
  • Rules for Artifact Ships, Siege Weapons and Warstriders.
  • A collection of quick, base power only conversions of the armory in the Tomb of Dreams intro adventure for compatibility along with Essence versions of the ToD NPCs.
  • A new Merit to handle supernatural features including mutations and divine heritage.
  • A sprinkling of new Charms and Modes.
In addition it includes some new material for Storytellers
  • New rules for Scene Qualities that provide Qualities to describe the physical and social traits of a scene to direct and modify challenges, including a list of example scenes.
  • A collection of form-fillable pdfs for designing Antagonists, Companions and Battlegroups of different complexity for Essence that include optional rules for simplified Mote and Anima tracking.
  • An Archetype-focused design guide similar to Storypath for designing Essence antagonists which also cover the innate qualities of different creature types, average dice pools for different levels of threat and concepts to direct intimacies, qualities and charms.
  • A new Antagonist Quality for mortals who have gained supernatural abilities in the vein of the Strange Beast animal quality.
Last edited by SylvanVixen on Thu May 19, 2022 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
SylvanVixen

Update to include a brand new Martial Art: Shattered Gem style, which draws inspiration from the character Maya from Kill Six Billion Demons. It is a close combat style that focuses on setup, using the Focus Build Power action instead of Withering attacks, Improvised Weapons, extending reach, resolve and brutal Decisives.
It can be found in the collection linked above or here directly.
andrix
Site Admin

SylvanVixen wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:59 am Update to include a brand new Martial Art: Shattered Gem style, which draws inspiration from the character Maya from Kill Six Billion Demons. It is a close combat style that focuses on setup, using the Focus Build Power action instead of Withering attacks, Improvised Weapons, extending reach, resolve and brutal Decisives.
It can be found in the collection linked above or here directly.

You've still got the armour tags titled as being from Laughing Wounds, assume you've used a previous MA you wrote as a template here.

I really like the idea and the aesthetic on this one and it fits the Infernal tags really nicely. I'm notoriously not a crunch or balance guy with some of this stuff so while I really like the idea of the final charm I'm not entirely sure on whether it's something workable or not. I think it's one of those that looks really fun on paper but actually is potent enough that there's going to be a limit on how many times an ST is going to let you count things as being in a straight line before feeling like it's getting old. 3e is full of charms like that I realise that there's a limit on how much you can really use them before there's diminishing returns in how interesting it is. Buuuuut...without enough working knowledge on Essence's combat I could be totally off base on that without knowing the dynamic of your group.

How often would you envisage a character decisiving like this and how many characters do you envisage being a valid target for it on an average activation?
Sword of Creation Site Admin
Please consider giving input on the feedback forums about things you like or want changed
If you have any issues feel free to message me
SylvanVixen

Thanks for the Armor Tag catch, I thought I'd caught all the remnant text from the layout I used as a template.
I'm glad you like the Infernal mode treatment it got, focused violence seemed like a theme that matched them and drew from similar ideas from the MA's inspiration.

The math on the damage bonuses should be perfectly fine... on their own. One thing I realised after writing it is none of the damage building charms interact with attack steps, meaning you're free to add your own charms to the attack on everything but the capstone.

Now I like this in theory, the MA is largely built around setup for attacks, so being able to build extra damage by preparing in advance plays well to this idea and it means I don't need it to compete with other charms for impact. The charms themselves do require a bit of windup and don't normally play to the normal close combat playstyle, requiring staying still and using social actions followed by far-reaching attacks.
That said I'd need to do some real playtesting to know if this notably exceeds the bounds of the kinds of damage you can or should be able to do with other builds for the same level of action and charm investment. It's possible if I get some playtest feedback I may adjust this but in the white room it feels solid.

As to the straight line I made that the case both for the versimillitude of a direct sword strike and because the other example AoE's in Essence are all-directions attacks which seemed to be too much for what I'm going for (an early version had the Infernal mode reached city-leveling magnitudes of goofy before I trimmed it down) so it's intended as a limitation, instead of an entire battlefield like other AoE's you pierce through every enemy in a line.

I use a range band template sheet I got on the fancord in foundry so it's very easy for me to draw a line through a few range bands and say it hits all relevant targets, but I wouldn't have much difficulty keeping it fun in theatre of the mind since I'd be hoping to let an aoe attack feel good, that said if other ST's feel they'd have trouble arbitrating it mid-fight, or if players keep feeling like they are only being allowed to hit one dude by AoE averse STs, I might change it accordingly. Right now though being able to make a piercing attack out to long range feels right to me.
I'd expect to attack about 2-3 characters, as well as a go-to strategy against battlegroups (who will be taking more damage from AoE's in the next rules version)
andrix
Site Admin

SylvanVixen wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:13 am As to the straight line I made that the case both for the versimillitude of a direct sword strike and because the other example AoE's in Essence are all-directions attacks which seemed to be too much for what I'm going for (an early version had the Infernal mode reached city-leveling magnitudes of goofy before I trimmed it down) so it's intended as a limitation, instead of an entire battlefield like other AoE's you pierce through every enemy in a line.

I use a range band template sheet I got on the fancord in foundry so it's very easy for me to draw a line through a few range bands and say it hits all relevant targets, but I wouldn't have much difficulty keeping it fun in theatre of the mind since I'd be hoping to let an aoe attack feel good, that said if other ST's feel they'd have trouble arbitrating it mid-fight, or if players keep feeling like they are only being allowed to hit one dude by AoE averse STs, I might change it accordingly. Right now though being able to make a piercing attack out to long range feels right to me.
I'd expect to attack about 2-3 characters, as well as a go-to strategy against battlegroups (who will be taking more damage from AoE's in the next rules version)

Cool, solid response to the questions I had there and seems a pretty reasonable approach to the sort of thing you want it to be doing. I think there's something to be said for having mechanics where as long as everyone is on the same page with what the intent is there's no sense rules lawyering the thing into incomprehensibility in the name of 'balance'. And I can see how a template sheet would make it even simpler to keep straight.

Also appreciate the observation that Exalted tends to go for the all direction approach to this sort of thing so knowing the niche you're trying to fill makes it clearer
Sword of Creation Site Admin
Please consider giving input on the feedback forums about things you like or want changed
If you have any issues feel free to message me
SylvanVixen

Now updated with NPC Essence conversions for Tomb of Dreams using minimalistic layouts.
SylvanVixen

It's been awhile as I await the rules update and work on larger projects.

However one smaller project I finished was Thaumaturgy for Exalted Essence!
It's primarily based around expanding permissions for banked stunt dice, influences and ventures.

Check it out here