Ex3 Venture System

The main hub for homebrew, mechanics, splats and rewrites

Moderator: Epiphany

Sandact6

Are you one of the few who are remaining with Ex3 now that Essence is out, but at the same time remain jealous that Essence has actual functional crafting and organizational leadership rules? Do you want a framework of things I’ll be using in my upcoming charm revamps? Then look no further than my Ex3 Venture revamp.

Not only does it contain all the ventures in the Excess book, but also contains many more examples for difficulty and several new gambits, such as actions to Frame someone or making your own computer program.

Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yR6 ... sFTss/edit

Tags:
Maseiken

Niche, but very understandable. I'm in the possibly even more niche category of potentially wanting Ventures for 2e (Not 2.5. 2e.).
Sandact6

Maseiken wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:46 am Niche, but very understandable. I'm in the possibly even more niche category of potentially wanting Ventures for 2e (Not 2.5. 2e.).

I mean with the way I wrote these they can be ported to Ex2 or Ex2.5 without issue.

Needing charms may be an issue, but when I'm done with my revamps you can just steal the charms from those. Since they're not related to combat they should work.
Maseiken

Oh totally! They're quite malleable, without being so far as generic.
BogMod

What are you talking about Sandact. EX3 has a working crafting system. You just...need like 15-20 different Solar charms and you can make anything you want ever.
I play the video games.  https://www.youtube.com/bogmod
Maseiken

BogMod wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:46 pm What are you talking about Sandact. EX3 has a working crafting system. You just...need like 15-20 different Solar charms and you can make anything you want ever.

F'real tho the Lunar Craft charms are nifty.

They just... don't interact with the Craft subsystem. hmm
Sandact6

BogMod wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:46 pm What are you talking about Sandact. EX3 has a working crafting system. You just...need like 15-20 different Solar charms and you can make anything you want ever.

I'm writing the craft replacement right now. Needless to say I'm going to go on the mother of all rants against Ex3 craft. I'm going to let lose years of bottle up anger and frustration and it's going to be cathartic as hell.
BogMod

Sandact6 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:32 pm

I'm writing the craft replacement right now. Needless to say I'm going to go on the mother of all rants against Ex3 craft. I'm going to let lose years of bottle up anger and frustration and it's going to be cathartic as hell.

Now your avatar face comes across as filed with RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.
I play the video games.  https://www.youtube.com/bogmod
adambeyoncelowe

I like this. I am likely to use ExEss rules with Ex3 Attributes and Abilities. Or maybe I'll crib the Specialty rules from Exalted Reincarnated, so that you can keep ExEss' broad Abilities but require people to pick a Specialty that aligns with an Ex3 Ability, so you have the Ex3 granularity but the ExEss Charm structure.

I am also likely to use the Venture system proposed for combat, too, since I'm not a fan of overly long combats (my favourite combats at the moment are in WFRP4e and last no more than three rounds, on average, but are cool as hell).
EveryAndyDay

Hi,
I don't really understand Ventures in Exalted Essence. I get that Terminus is the max # of rolls you can make, and you're trying to overcome Obstacles, and you're rolling against a difficulty and can use threshold successes to buy advantage.
What I don't understand is how you determine if the venture is successful, or if it is a failure? I thought that you had to overcome all obstacles, but then read several references to what might happen if there are obstacles remaining after a venture is complete. How can that happen?
Thanks.
Greyman

ExaltedEssence wrote:Results

If the character hasn’t failed the venture due to running out of time, losing to the opposition, or botching a roll, then once they overcome or bypass all the obstacles, the venture is complete. The character accomplishes what they set out to do, but must deal with any consequences their efforts generated along the way.
Sandact6

EveryAndyDay wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:58 pm Hi,
I don't really understand Ventures in Exalted Essence. I get that Terminus is the max # of rolls you can make, and you're trying to overcome Obstacles, and you're rolling against a difficulty and can use threshold successes to buy advantage.
What I don't understand is how you determine if the venture is successful, or if it is a failure? I thought that you had to overcome all obstacles, but then read several references to what might happen if there are obstacles remaining after a venture is complete. How can that happen?
Thanks.

Ventures are determined to be a success if you overcome all the obstacles on it.

Would it be possible to win without it? Sure. If you make a venture to overthrow a Kingdom you could win over the masses, infiltrate the army, and successfully assassinate the king. But if your last roll to replace the king's royal men fails you then have a powerful group of people who are not only against you, but also have many neighbouring ties and vast influence over the regional area. Your goal of taking over the kingdom may've been a success, but now you have some powerful remainders that are making life difficult for you.