Anchor and Sail

Want to share your artifacts and evocations, show them off here

Moderator: Epiphany

AutXAutY

Sail and Anchor (Blue and White Jade Hook Daiklaves)+1 die to rush, disengage, opposing rushes or disengages, and rolls to resist attempts to force you to move or force you off balance.
 Motion-Absorbing Block
Cost: 2m; Mins: Essence 1
Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Resonant, Uniform
Duration: Instant
Prerequisites:
This is used when attempting to parry.
If parrying with Anchor, if the parry is successful, the wielder doesn’t gain a point of onslaught.
If parrying with Sail, if the parry is successful, the wielder may reflexively disengage.
Resonant: The bonus for Anchor happens regardless of the success of the block, and the disengage for Sail is automatically successful
 Enemy-Grasping Strike
Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 1
Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Uniform
Prerequisites:
This is supplements an attack, and adds an effect if it deals damage.
If the attack was with Anchor, the enemy may not take a movement action on their next turn.
If the attack was with Sail, the wielder may move the enemy to short range in any direction
 Arms-Divesting Gesture 
Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 2
Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Decisive-Only
Prerequisites: Enemy-Grasping Strike
This supplements a disarm gambit, and adds an additional effect to a successful gambit.
If the attack was with Anchor, lifting the weapon requires a difficulty 6 Strength 5 feat of strength.
If the attack was with Sail, the weapon is thrown out to medium range.
 Chasing Predators Technique
Cost: 5m; Mins: Essence 2
Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Dissonant
Duration: One Turn
Prerequisites:
This allows the wielder to flurry a rush and a full defense action. If used with Anchor, she gains (Athletics) soak for duration of the full defense action. If used with Sail, she may immediately move one range band closer on a successful rush.
Dissonant: Anchor only grants the lesser of (Athletics or Essence) soak. Sail grants additional movement over a normal rush only when the target moves away, and only on the first such movement.
 Walking Lonely Roads
Cost: 8m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 3
Type: Simple
Keywords: Resonant
Duration: One Scene
Prerequisites: Arms-Divesting Gesture, Motion-Absorbing Block, Chasing Predators Technique
Whenever you move, you may mark everyone within close range of your start with one of the following effects. Whenever you attack someone with Anchor, you may also apply one of these effects. Either way, the effect lasts until they next move:
Guardian: You may make defend other actions to protect them as if they were within close range.
Channel: All disengage and rush actions against them are unopposed. If all enemies in close range are effected by this, characters may move away with a regular movement action.
Bind: 1s on their movement actions count as -1 success. Ordinary movement now requires a combat action for them.
Lift: Their attacks gain +1 die, and +(Essence/2, round up) damage.
At the end of any round where you don’t move, this charm and all effects applied by it end.
Resonant: This may be activated reflexively when an enemy moves into close range with you.
This may be used once per story, not reset by the dawn power, reset x?
 Eye of the Hurricane
Cost: 8m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 3
Type: Simple
Keywords: Resonant
Duration: One Scene
Prerequisites: Arms-Divesting Gesture, Motion-Absorbing Block, Chasing Predators Technique
Sail may make attacks and defend other actions out to short range in the form of sudden gusts of wind. Enemies within short range must disengage from you to move. Attacks against you from outside of close range take a -2 penalty. This ends if you ever move.
Resonant: This may be activated reflexively when an enemy moves out of close range with you.
This may be used once per story, not reset by the dawn power, reset x?

Tags:
Flare
Admin

This is cool. I'm fond of paired artifacts with dual powers on charms, and basically sneaking in a little extra value on Evocations with stuff like this. I only have a couple of comments.

Motion Absorbing Block; Maybe 3 motes instead of 2? Reflexive Disengage is a pretty potent effect, especially when you hit the automatically succeed level.

Enemy-Grasping Strike; The forced movement here can be used to push opponents into dangerous terrain (such as off your ship). I'd maybe add a line with something like 'the Storyteller can allow the opponent to roll a combat movement roll to avoid falling into hazards if they feel it appropriate', just enough of a weasel language that a ST can go 'okay please don't shove the 5th DB in a row off the ship', you know what I mean?

Arms-Divesting Gesture; The difficulty to lift the weapon is pretty high. I'm not saying reduce it, but how often do you think someone's really going to have Strength 5 and the ability to even attempt lifting the weapon? I think it'll mostly depend on your table, admittedly, so if your table has a bunch of buff characters it's probably fine. Also does the enhanced weight stop being a thing at the end of the scene/combat?

Every other charm is cool and has no significant issues to my look, I appreciate the dual thematics here between the two weapons, which really engages me.

I at one point had a charm that decoupled the character's Parry and Dodge for the purposes of onslaught penalties. I wonder if you could sneak something like that in here where you can activate a charm that, for a round, lets each weapon have it's own specific parry value, so you can avoid onslaught penalties or the like by swapping between weapons.
AutXAutY

Flare wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:28 am Motion Absorbing Block; Maybe 3 motes instead of 2? Reflexive Disengage is a pretty potent effect, especially when you hit the automatically succeed level.
It's meant to be limited by needing to activate before the attack roll but only triggering on a successful parry. I think I assumed that a free action is mostly worth 3m, so a conditional free action is worth around 2m.
Flare wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:28 am Enemy-Grasping Strike; The forced movement here can be used to push opponents into dangerous terrain (such as off your ship). I'd maybe add a line with something like 'the Storyteller can allow the opponent to roll a combat movement roll to avoid falling into hazards if they feel it appropriate', just enough of a weasel language that a ST can go 'okay please don't shove the 5th DB in a row off the ship', you know what I mean?
That's probably a good bit of weasel language to add.
Flare wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:28 am Arms-Divesting Gesture; The difficulty to lift the weapon is pretty high. I'm not saying reduce it, but how often do you think someone's really going to have Strength 5 and the ability to even attempt lifting the weapon? I think it'll mostly depend on your table, admittedly, so if your table has a bunch of buff characters it's probably fine. Also does the enhanced weight stop being a thing at the end of the scene/combat?
It's meant to be that the enhanced weight ends with the end of scene/combat, yeah.
I think I balanced that under the assumption that charm-enhanced disarms can mostly completely remove a weapon from the fight
Flare wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:28 am I at one point had a charm that decoupled the character's Parry and Dodge for the purposes of onslaught penalties. I wonder if you could sneak something like that in here where you can activate a charm that, for a round, lets each weapon have it's own specific parry value, so you can avoid onslaught penalties or the like by swapping between weapons.
Sounds like a reasonable charm, though it overlaps a bit with the Anchor version of Motion Absorbing Block