[Solar Investigation remake] It's never Mr. Red, is it?

Share your homebrew charms and spells for others to use and feedback

Moderator: Epiphany

Synapse

Good evening, everyone! 
Investigation is out!

This one was actually quite a bit of work! The original set was just so small, and only half of it were any good ;_;

But it is done! Now your detective gets to ace his mysteries at the speed of thought, his keen awareness of his surroundings and of his foes is a resource on its own, and his insights on even the most obscure mysteries border on prophecy '-'

As always, feel free to use it as you wish, every feedback is welcome and I hope you have fun with it :D

Tags:
andrix
Site Admin

Took me a little while to get a chance and really appraise this one.

Turns out there’s maybe 7 charms from the originals that were actually adequate to the standards I’m using for this collection ;_;

I'd be curious to hear you elaborate on what you think the failing of the current set is as someone who's presumably really had a chance to dig into the RAW charms.

I have a real appreciation for the work and effort that's gone into this, I think it looks exceptionally solid. My biggest issue is philosophical in that I find that 3e has far too many sub-systems and this leans heavily into building on the canon one. Although I think what you're doing with them is honestly pretty great what I'd look for in a re-write would be more streamlining...unless the game was heavily investigation focused in which case I could make something like this a star. If that was the case I'd want to encourage you to actually build on whats here and give me more options to really allow two different investigation focused PC's to differentiate themselves. I'd want a few more branching charms off things like the mind palace idea.

The biggest compliment I can actually give you though is that this does actually inspire me to run a game like that, even if it means adding it to the long list of games I'd love to run but will probably not have the oppertunity to
Sword of Creation Site Admin
Please consider giving input on the feedback forums about things you like or want changed
If you have any issues feel free to message me
Synapse

Thank you :D

The first problem with the canon set is that there's like 4 charms that are just "here's dice and excellencies". The very first charm is something that I feel shouldn't even be a charm in the first place, and the psychometry charms kinda dance around themselves (for example, the capstone doesn't really do anything on its own other than a blanket "you get an insight to solve this"). There's no explanation on what's destroyed or twisted evidence, for example (and this maps to larceny as well).

The roll boosters, of course, work, but I'm not fond of them. I prefer them parsimonious, as a thing that you start with or have on the side and quickly move on to the really juicy goods.

Investigation itself is a remarkably simple system, it just notes how you search for clues and the roll connects the dots for you.

This means there's just not much to latch charms on to.

Since Exalted is not driven by investigation at its core, I find this satisfactory. It needed primarily ST guidance rather than a system expansion, and charms focused more on the narrative of the investigator extraordinaire rather than the specific skillset. You can pull bizarre super memory shenanigans, understand the backstory of the entire room with a glance, punch people via overanalysis and pull schemes and tricks worthy of matching wits with their equals in crime, whom they obviously will obsess over.