Picrew Thread

For sharing all your art, commissions, references and inspirational images

Moderator: Epiphany

AstraKiseki

So if you're here, you're probably going "What's Picrew?"  Picrew is a Japanese website where artists make well, avatar makers!  I'll make one of my oldest characters, a Chosen of Serenities named Sacre Cyrano as an example.  Click the image for the source!

It's a fairly intuitive system as well, and you can just click, tap at things, and explore to your heart's content!  I just wanted to introduce people to this site so they can take advantage of it for their own characters if they so please, since there's a lot of different art styles there.  Just if you link stuff here, talk about your character and be sure to link the generator too!
Last edited by AstraKiseki on Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good morning!  The Loom of Fate has let me live another day and I'm going to make it everyone's problem. 💙

Tags:
andrix
Site Admin

Do you need an account? It looks cool and I was curious to see what it could do but the japanese makes the bar to entry a little higher than some places so maybe a guide from someone use to it could be a help
Sword of Creation Site Admin
Please consider giving input on the feedback forums about things you like or want changed
If you have any issues feel free to message me
LefferDP

No, you don't.

From the front page you can reach the list of Hot Makers for instance. Auto-translate works pretty well on the page.

Here's some random ones to try out (not really Exalt suitable, but so you can see):

Lo-Fi Hip Hop

Makowka Character Maker II

I don't know what the actual title is, the auto translate in Chrome fails
AstraKiseki

andrix wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:48 pm Do you need an account? It looks cool and I was curious to see what it could do but the japanese makes the bar to entry a little higher than some places so maybe a guide from someone use to it could be a help
As mentioned by Leffer, no, you don't! You just need to click around.  (The one I just did uses images too, just click on the image.)

Good morning!  The Loom of Fate has let me live another day and I'm going to make it everyone's problem. 💙
DaringSteel

LefferDP wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:08 pm
Auto-translate works pretty well on the page.

Any advice on how to get auto-translate? The one I have in Safari doesn't seem to want to work.

Also, somewhat tangentially - anyone know of any good full-body character-creator things? Tektek got taken down years ago, Hero Machine died with Flash... are there any left?
send feedback pls
LefferDP

DaringSteel wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:28 am Any advice on how to get auto-translate? The one I have in Safari doesn't seem to want to work.

I tried a few other methods and the Google Translate plugin on Chrome seems to be the only one that actually works. I assume it's got something to do with the javascript running oddly when it's not on the correct page.
DaringSteel

I don't know if this is the right place, but I don't see any other "avatar-maker" threads, so: Hero Forge is mostly D&D-focused, but you can definitely make full-body characters with it.  
send feedback pls
TheCountAlucard

DaringSteel wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:34 pm I don't know if this is the right place, but I don't see any other "avatar-maker" threads, so: Hero Forge is mostly D&D-focused, but you can definitely make full-body characters with it.  
I'm not exactly pleased by the fine print in the agreement they have you sign to use their software, though; as best as I understand it, making a miniature of your character using HeroForge, renders it their intellectual property.

Not that I ever intend to make money off my Knight Raiton character, but still, it feels a tad extreme.
DaringSteel

TheCountAlucard wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:00 am
DaringSteel wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:34 pm I don't know if this is the right place, but I don't see any other "avatar-maker" threads, so: Hero Forge is mostly D&D-focused, but you can definitely make full-body characters with it.  
I'm not exactly pleased by the fine print in the agreement they have you sign to use their software, though; as best as I understand it, making a miniature of your character using HeroForge, renders it their intellectual property.

Not that I ever intend to make money off my Knight Raiton character, but still, it feels a tad extreme.

An understandable concern.  I think that's because they're primarily a miniature company - that is, their main business model is the part where you pay them to make a physical version of your miniature - so they may need to secure the IP rights to their actual products (as in, it might be illegal for them to make and sell miniatures that they didn't have the IP for).  I'm also pretty sure that they only get the IP rights to the miniature itself, not the character it represents - if for no other reason that the alternative would hold up in court like a dixie cup under a Chevrolet Suburban.  
send feedback pls